Thursday 10 May 2012

Horses are very interesting creatures, many times I find myself thinking I know exactly how my horse will react in a good relaxed manner in a situatiion, when really he/she freaks out and tries to run off. When this happens, knowing what to do to fix what they are afraid of is key to be safe with your horse. One day I was riding my 16 year old very well trained and calm horse in a parade, over the years she has been to more parades and at the front of them than I can count; she was standing as she always does and out of the corner of her vision she say a banner and jumped a few feet to the side. Everyone who knows my trusty old horse was so suprised at her doing this. For the next few days I worked with all my horses with a white banner. After a few times with my horse that spooked she was fine with it again. My other horse Zoey on the other hand not so much. I started out by standing a few feet away and holding it up, when she finally relaxed a little, I brought it up to her face and she jumped back, I just kept it close to her untill she calmed again, horses will realize at some point it isnt going to eat them you just have to be patient and not overdo the situation. When she smelled it i walked around her holding it over her and petting her with the banner and then she was totally fine with it. Patience is a vertue with horses, Don't push them when they don't like something, gradually introduce it to them, put it up somewhere they are comfortable being, or give them a treat when they fully relax! Enjoy your horses (=

No comments:

Post a Comment